The fire started on the second floor of an apartment building at 232 Ellen Terrace at 6:40pm.
Responding firefighters were met by a frantic homeowner who told them his cats were inside and that one of them just had kittens.
Firefighters quickly put out the fire, which was contained to the kitchen, and then managed to rescue all of the cats. There were 2 adults and 4 kittens rescued. All will be OK.
The homeowner said he was beginning to cook dinner but fell asleep on the couch. He woke up when the fire alarm went off, left the building and called 911.
There were no other injuries.