• BREAKING NEWS Shelter in place lifted after prisoner captured
  • BREAKING NEWS NYPD officer struck by vehicle during foot pursuit

Connecticut chimp attack victim Charla Nash seeks OK to sue

March 21, 2014 2:36:25 PM PDT
A woman disfigured in a 2009 chimpanzee attack has told Connecticut lawmakers that the state knew the animal was a threat but failed to protect her.

Charla Nash spoke Friday before a legislative committee that is considering her bid to pursue a $150 million lawsuit against the state.

A state claims commissioner refused her request last year for permission to sue, but the General Assembly's Judiciary Committee is considering a bill that would override that decision. The state generally is immune from lawsuits unless allowed by the commissioner.

Nash was blinded, lost both hands and underwent a face transplant following the attack in Stamford. She said the money could allow her to pay medical bills and give her a chance at a comfortable life.

State officials say the law does not support her claim.


Load Comments