The fire happened this afternoon in a 4-story building on Saratoga Avenue in Brownsville.
Officials say the fire started by a space heater placed too close to flammable materials. It quickly spread throughout the 35-unit building.
A vacate order was placed on apartments 1A, 2A, 3C, 3B, and 3D and the cellar.
Con-Ed was able to re-energize the B wing and some of those residents will be allowed back home.
Red Cross is providing housing for 25 residents tonight, some of whom are children.
Fortunately no one was hurt in the blaze.