• BREAKING NEWS Shelter in place lifted after prisoner captured

Carbon monoxide reported in Merrick school

October 10, 2013 1:24:57 PM PDT
Some Merrick, Long Island elementary school students were treated after elevated levels of carbon monoxide were detected in the building Thursday.

Black smoke puffed out of a boiler in a sixth grade class at Camp Avenue Elementary School just before 2 p.m., causing students to complain of nausea, headaches and dizziness.

911 was called and the school was evacuated. The fire department assessed the situation and determined it was safe for the children to re-enter the building. School was dismissed at the regular time.

14 children and one adult were taken to an area hospital for evaluation and treatment.

Northbound and southbound lanes of Merrick Avenue were closed between Camp Avenue and Little Whale Neck Avenue for police activity.


Load Comments