The arrest of 42-year-old Shawn Custis was made in conjunction with the FBI Task Force, members of the Essex County Prosecutor's office, the NYPD and Milburn Police.
FBI agents arrested Shawn Custis in the Inwood section of Manhattan Friday evening. He was allegedly hiding out at his girlfriend's home.
As the 42-year-old was hauled off to Newark, that woman's daughter who refused to give her name, explained they had no idea he was allegedly caught on nanny cam punching, kicking, and choking a woman in her home and in front of her scared 3-year-old daughter.
The video brought her to tears.
She says they didn't see this video because they don't have cable TV.
Last Friday, the suspect forcibly entered the woman's Cypress Street home at around 10 a.m., where the mother was with two young children.
He assaulted the woman, including throwing her down the basement stairs.
A portion of the horrifying attack was captured on the family's home video and shown to the public earlier this week.
Her 3-year-old daughter and 1-year-old son were not physically hurt.
And amazingly their mother only suffered minor injuries.
Custis is charged with first degree attempted murder in connection with the June 21 assault on the Millburn mother. He is also charged with first degree robbery, 2nd degree burglary and two counts of endangering the welfare of a child.
The Honorable Judge Thomas Moore, J.S.C., has set bail at $750,000.
County chief of detectives Anthony Ambrose said Friday that Custis was being transported to an undisclosed location in New Jersey.