• BREAKING NEWS Shelter in place lifted after prisoner captured

Good Samaritans save children from burning home

April 26, 2013 8:14:57 PM PDT
Two little children are lucky to be alive after their home caught fire.

In Holbrook, the home where the children live is still standing and there is hardly any visible smoke or fire damage.

But don't think for a minute that what happened there the other day didn't profoundly affect a bunch of people.

"That sunk in after it was all done, like whoa," said Craig Pagliuca, a Good Samaritan.

Craig Pagliuca was among five men from nearby Seneca Middle School who jumped into action on Tuesday to save two small children, a 1 year old and 3 year old, inside the home alone.

He saw a chimney fire beginning to spread.

"The flames coming out of the chimney," Pagliuca said, "That's when we all just ran instinctively and at that point it was all adrenalin."

They were school custodians and security guards, men whose contributions are often overlooked, but not on that day.

When the fire and smoke spread at the home, over the fence, and across the parking lot from the school, they were there to help.

Jim Enright, one of the school's employees who responded, is a former volunteer firefighter.

"We were in shock to see two small children. We saw a baby in a high chair who was one year old and we saw a young man who was approximately three years old," Enright said.

They quickly worked to get the kids out.

"Our main priority was just to make sure the kids were OK," Enright said.

Then they tried to put out the smoke and fire.

Turns out, the children were home alone. Their grandmother says she had taken another child to the bus stop.

The family claims she was only gone for a matter of minutes.

The children's mother declined to comment on camera, but told Eyewitness News that the grandmother is, "Still distraught" and "That she would never do something like this," and "she's going to kick herself for the rest of her life."

It could have been a lot worse.

But fortunately, the children are OK and the fire didn't spread.

That's thanks to five Good Samaritans who are heroes.

---


Load Comments