• BREAKING NEWS Shelter in place lifted after prisoner captured

Boy killed in Brooklyn fire started by space heater

February 9, 2013 7:19:14 PM PST
Authorities say a fire sparked by a space heater in a Brooklyn apartment on a freezing, snowy morning has killed an 8-year-old boy.

The Fire Department says a firefighter and another person were taken to hospitals with minor injuries after the blaze early Saturday. It was in a building on Bedford Avenue in the Flatbush neighborhood.

Henry Barnes lives across the street. He told The New York Times he was awaked by screams, went outside and saw two women standing in the street.

He says one was yelling: "Get my kids, get my kids."

The boy died at the scene of the fire. His name hasn't been released.

Firefighters determined the space heater was too close to some combustible items. It's not immediately clear what they were.

---
Get Eyewitness News Delivered

Facebook | Twitter | Newsletters | Text Alerts


Load Comments