• BREAKING NEWS Shelter in place lifted after prisoner captured

Firefighters rescue 4 from burning building in Passaic

January 24, 2013 11:19:14 AM PST
Investigators say an overloaded electrical outlet sparked the 3-alarm fire inside an apartment buidling on Madison Street near Myrtle Avenue just before 6 a.m. on Thursday.

There were at least 6 different appliances feeding out of the same electrical cord, officials said.

Four residents were rescued by firefighters racing through a blazing three-alarm building fire in Passaic, New Jersey, early Thursday.

Flames shot out the third-floor window and quickly spread up to the fourth and down to the second.

Firefighters helped the four residents down the smoky stairways and outside. Two of the residents had to be carried.

Eight residents and four firefighters were treated for no- life threatening injuries. One of the firefighters had smoke inhalation and another had chest pains.

Residents of the building, which had about 16 apartments, were forced into the cold. At least 60 residents, or 17 families, are now temporarily homeless.

Red Cross volunteers are meeting with the displaced families at the Passaic Senior Center.

At least four apartments are destroyed and the others have smoke and water damage.

It took about an hour to get the fire under control.

SUBMIT QUESTIONS NOW FOR OUR OPERATION 7: SAVE A LIFE FIRE SAFETY LIVE CHAT

---
Get Eyewitness News Delivered

Facebook | Twitter | Newsletters | Text Alerts


Load Comments