NEW YORK --Here are 7 things to knows about how to prepare your home during cold weather.1) Fit exposed pipes with insulation sleeves or wrapping to slow heat transfer.
2) Seal cracks and holes in outside walls and foundations near water pipes with caulking.
3) Keep cabinet doors open to allow warm air to circulate around pipes.
4) Keep a slow trickle of water flowing through faucets connected to pipes that run through an unheated or unprotected space.
5) Maintain a 36-inch clearance between the heater and combustible materials, such as bedding, furniture, wall coverings or other flammable items.
6) Do not leave a heater unattended.
7) Regular cleaning will keep the fireplace free of obstructions and creosote. If you haven't had maintenance performed recently, use caution when operating the fireplace and never leave it unattended.
(Source: LINK: http://www.disastersafety.org
Get Eyewitness News Delivered