Xi-an is a region that has Muslim and Middle Eastern influences that show up in the cuisine. Many of the dishes use lamb, for example.
Learn more about the restaurant at www.biang-nyc.com
Spicy Cumin Lamb Noodles from Biang!
wheat flour 400g
salt 1/4 tablespoon
cold water 215g
lamb meat, thinly sliced 200g
powdered cumin 10g
soy sauce 15g
white sugar 5g
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 egg white
cooking wine 15g
scallion, chopped 25g
1. Mix salt and flour together
2. Slowly add water into the flour/salt mixture in a dough mixer in slow speed, or if mixing by hand, first mix in a basin that is big enough to allow initial kneading. Knead until dough is smooth and consistent.
3. Cut dough into small pieces about 4 inches long, 2 inches wide, and 3/8 inch thick, and cover with vegetable oil and place in refrigerator right away to prevent sticking until service.
1. Mix sliced lamb meat with egg white and cooking wine and marinate for 20 minutes
2. coat a saute pan large enough to cook the ingredients in with vegetable oil, and heat on high heat until smoking point
3. Add lamb meat mixture into the pan and cook until the meat is almost done, then remove meat from the pan and set aside
4. Add a little more oil and sweat the scallions and onions and add in the meat from before, as well as the soy sauce, cumin powder, salt, sugar. Saute for 3 minutes or as soon as the flavor sets in, and remove from fire.
1. Bring to boil a pot of water in a large pot in preparations for the noodles.
2. When water is about boiling, take three pieces of the dough from refrigerator. Press dough flat on a work surface and then take one end of the piece in each hand and pull and slap on the table until the dough piece becomes elongated into a wide noodle. Rip this noodle in the middle and throw into the boiling water. Repeat with the rest of the pieces.
3. When the noodles are cooked (1-2 minutes), remove from boil into a mixing pot/bowl. Add sauteed lamb onto the noodles, and add soy sauce, black vinegar, and chili oil to taste.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered