• BREAKING NEWS Shelter in place lifted after prisoner captured

Staten Island man engulfed in flames after cooking

December 2, 2012 4:47:00 PM PST
Authorities say a man was engulfed in flames as he fled his New York home after an apparent kitchen accident.

Fire officials say the victim is being treated for serious injuries at a Staten Island hospital after the mishap Saturday afternoon.

The New York Post reports that 60-year-old Louis Gloria was cooking when he was caught in a grease blaze. The newspaper says he tried to extinguish the flames using water but that only fanned the fire.

A neighbor, Edward Leavy Jr., told the Post that Gloria was screaming and seemed to be burning alive when he ran from his house. The neighbor's brother tried to smother the flames that burned on for several minutes before help arrived.

Fire officials do not consider the blaze suspicious. They're investigating.

---
Get Eyewitness News Delivered

Facebook | Twitter | Newsletters | Text Alerts


Load Comments