• BREAKING NEWS Shelter in place lifted after prisoner captured
  • BREAKING NEWS NYPD officer struck by vehicle during foot pursuit

Sisters die from generator's carbon monoxide leak

New Jersey news from Eyewitness News
October 31, 2012 7:34:32 PM PDT
Newark authorities say carbon monoxide leaking from a generator apparently caused the deaths of two sisters at a city apartment building.

The sisters, ages 18 and 19, were found in the building Wednesday night. Residents say the generator was being used in an attempt to light the building that had been without power since Superstorm Sandy hit the state.

Newark Police Director Samuel Demaio said the generator apparently was kept too close to an open window. He said that if a generator is too close to a window, the differing temperatures cause a vacuum that pulls carbon monoxide into the apartment.

Get Eyewitness News Delivered

Facebook | Twitter | Newsletters | Text Alerts

Load Comments