Around noon, while responding to a call about a person having a seizure on Westminster Avenue in Elizabeth, New Jersey, emergency responders reported smelling a weird odor.
Occupants told them that the building had been fumigating for bed bugs.
Both an EMT and fire captain became ill causing the hazmat team to be called in. Residents were able to stay in their apartments as pesticides were determined to be the cause. Four first responders went to the hospital, plus five civilians, including two children. However, they all have been released from the hospital and are expected to be alright.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered