NEW YORK --As Lincoln's Center Out of Doors event draws to a close, it promises to go out with a bang!It will conclude its 2012 season on Aug. 11-12 with the annual "Roots of American Music" Festival, which this year puts a special focus on artists involved in bringing about social change. The festival will include a reflection on Lincoln Center's 1972 and 1973 landmark "Soul at the Center" summer festival which gave a world stage to prominent nlack musicians, dancers, actors and writers of the time.
The "All-Star Gathering for Gil Scott-Heron" is a centerpiece of this focus, spotlighting the soul-jazz pioneer and his influence on hip-hop and legacy with artists such as Aloe Blacc, who is also part of the closing night concert line-up. An afternoon of powerful discussions "Stone Soul Symposium," with musicians, writers and scholars on Aug. 12 provides insight and framework on the lasting impact of Scott Heron, Laura Nyro, and others.
Other performances include:
- Valerie Simpson & Friends pay tribute to Nick Ashford.
- Poetry, spoken word, and music converge at La Casita -- two afternoons celebrating diverse voices and cultures with day-long events in Manhattan and the Bronx.
- The Cleo Parker Robinson Dance Ensemble returns to Lincoln Center to perform a series of dances highlighted by the premier of Fusion, by Haitian choreographer Jeanguy Saintus of Ayikodans
- Dr. L Subramaniam, renowned Indian violinist, is joined by his family and special guests Larry Coryell and Corky Siegel in Global Fusion.
- Other acts include the New York debut of the Alaev Family, the Willie Mae Rock for Girls All-Star Band, Otis Clay, Tom Paxton and Eric McKeown.