• BREAKING NEWS Shelter in place lifted after prisoner captured

Police questioning several in deadly child shooting

A 4-year-old boy was killed in crossfire at a basketball court in the Bronx.
July 24, 2012 8:44:37 PM PDT
Investigators at the 42 precinct have been talking to several individuals, but have focused on one who they say had a gun out on the playground.

Commissioner Ray Kelly says investigators are speaking to a 17-year-old young man who admits to not only being on the playground at the Forrest Houses, but also having a handgun.

"(He) admits to shooting rounds at that location, states that it was in self defense because he was being shot at," Kelly said.

Police believe one of those shots could have been the one that struck little 4-year old Lloyd Morgan in the head, killing him.

"There were so many gunshots, and we ran to the hospital. It's tragic that it had to end like that, that I couldn't bring him home," Morgan's mother, Shianne Norman said.

The shooting happened before more than one hundred spectators. By the time it was over, detectives tell Eyewitness News at least four people fired at least seventeen shots.

Norman had been watching the game and lost little Lloyd in the chaos that followed.

Two other victims, including a 27-year-old man was shot in the stomach, while another man was shot in the arm.

Others, including numerous public leaders, were calling for the shooters to surrender to police.

In addition to the 17-year old, there are others of interest.

"We have other people we are in the process of speaking to as well. There will be charges as a result of this, but they have not been fully determined," Kelly said.

---
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.

Get Eyewitness News Delivered

Facebook | Twitter | Newsletters | Text Alerts


Load Comments