• BREAKING NEWS Shelter in place lifted after prisoner captured
  • BREAKING NEWS NYPD officer struck by vehicle during foot pursuit

Smoke alarm sales jump after deadly Conn. fire

Lilly, 10, and twins Sarah and Grace, 7, Badger died in a house fire in Stamford on Christmas Day 2011.
January 9, 2012 6:01:14 AM PST
Owners of several stores in Connecticut communities near a deadly Christmas morning fire are reporting a noticeable jump in purchases of smoke detectors, fire extinguishers and escape ladders.

The Time of Greenwich reports (http://bit.ly/yEAwlQ ) some hardware store owners say people also have been bringing in their existing alarms to check and replace batteries after the deadly Stamford fire.

Officials say the improper disposal of fireplace ashes sparked the blaze, which killed 7-year-old twins Grace and Sarah Badger; their 9-year-old sister, Lily; and their grandparents, Pauline and Lomer Johnson.

Their mother and a friend were able to escape the burning mansion, which later had to be torn down.

Fire officials say the deaths underscore the importance of having working smoke detectors and an escape plan, and taking precautions with fireplace ashes and other flammable materials.

---
Get Eyewitness News Delivered

Facebook | Twitter | Newsletters | Text Alerts


Load Comments