Firefighters arrived at the Bleecker Street building at around 3:20 a.m. to find children yelling for help out of the window. Two boys, ages 12 and 14, climbed down ladders set up by firefighters. Along with their 36-year-old mother, they were taken to a hospital in stable condition.
Another resident was were treated for non-life threatening injuries.
Two adult residents, identified as 68-year-old Yolanda Nieves and her 40-year-old son Jerry Nieves, were taken from the burning building in cardiac arrest.
Firefighters and police officers teamed up to perform CPR on the victims on the street. They were rushed to the burn unit at Cornell Medical Center in critical condition.
"I seen some kids hanging out the window, and they was screaming because they couldn't get out," witness Giovanni Espinal said. "So I had to call 911. And when I called 911, I stood out in front of the house and a man came over and started helping. They threw the dogs down. There wasn't much else we could do."
Two firefighters also suffered non-life threatening injuries.
Officials have deemed the fire accidental. They say it was sparked by an electrical cord running through the apartment that was being used for numerous appliances.