• BREAKING NEWS Shelter in place lifted after prisoner captured
  • BREAKING NEWS NYPD officer struck by vehicle during foot pursuit

Brooklyn woman dies in fire

February 1, 2010 9:56:37 AM PST
A 46-year old woman died in her sleep when her cigarette apparently set her apartment ablaze in the Canarsie section of Brooklyn. Investigators said Sandra Lubin apparently fell asleep when her still-burning cigarette ignited her fifth floor apartment in the Bayview Houses on East 102nd Street.

The intense fire prevented Lubin's daughter from reaching her mother.

Firefighters raced to the apartment just before 6:30 a.m, but they were also turned by the heavy smoke.

Lubin's body was discovered in her bed once the fire was extinguished.

One other resident sustained a minor injury.

Load Comments